Different types of US Visas


Ever wondered what type of Visa you need if you want to enter USA. Here are the different types of Visa for USA. [Its taken from Bhuvan’s Blog].

A – Official Visa

  • A-1: For Ambassadors, public ministers & consular officers
  • A-2: For immediate family members of A-1
  • A-3: Attendants & servants of A-1 and A-2 holders

    B – Business/Visitor Visa

  • B-1: Temporary visitor for business
  • B-2: Temporary visitor for leisure

    C & D Visa (For Aliens in transit)

  • C-1,2: Alien in transit directly through US
  • C-3: Family of C-1,C-2 in transit
  • C-4: Transit without Visa(TWOV)
  • D-1: Sailors departing on vessel of arrival
  • D-2: Sailors departing by other means

    E – Visa (For Traders/Investors)

  • E-1: Treaty Trader, spouse and children
  • E-2: Treaty Investor, spouse and children

    F Visa (Students)

    Want to study or research at a U.S. college? Then F is the visa for you –

  • F-1: Academic Student
  • F-2: Spouse or child of F-1

    H (Temporary Worker) Visa

  • H-1B: Persons in a specialty occupation
  • H-2B: Seasonal nonagricultural workers
  • H-3: Trainees other than medical/academic; also training of handicaps
  • H-4: Dependants of H visa holders

    I Visa (Media persons)

    Are you a reporter, film person, Editor? Then you require an I-visa –Essential documents: Your press ID, a letter from the editor.

    J & Q Exchange Visitor Visa

  • J-1: Visas for exchange visitors. exchange visitors may be academics, scientists, businesspeople or students.
  • J-2: Spouse or ‘child’ of J-1 under 21

    K Fiance(e) of US Citizen

  • K-1: Fiance(e)
  • K-2: Minor child of K-1
  • K-3: Spouse of a U.S. Citizen (LIFE Act)
  • K-4: Child of K-3 (LIFE Act)Essential documents: Marriage certificate & Photos, Intent of marrying within 90 days in US(for K1).

    L Visa (Intra company Transferees)

  • L-1A: Executive, managerial
  • L-1B: Specialized knowledge
  • L-2: Spouse or child of L-1

    M Visa – Vocational and Language Students

  • M-1: Vocational student or other non-academic student
  • M-2: Spouse or child of M-1

    O Visa – For Prodigies

  • O-1: For a Genius in Sciences, Arts, Education, Business, or Athletics.
  • O-2: Alien’s (support) accompanying O-1
  • O-3: Spouse or child of O-1 or O-2

    P Visa – Athletes and Entertainers

  • P-1: Athletes & Entertainment groups
  • P-2: Entertainers in exchange programs
  • P-3: Entertainers in cultural programs
  • P-4: Spouse or child of P-1, 2, or 3

    R Visa – Religious Workers

  • R-1: Religious workers
  • R-2: Spouse or child of R-1
  • Technorati Tags: ,

    3 thoughts on “Different types of US Visas

    1. Well you information about different types of US visa is really good which you have taken from bhuvans blog. Actually i found this page through SERPs of Google. i really like this post that i am leaving my signature here. thanks for sharing wonderful and simple post.

    Leave a Reply

    Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

    WordPress.com Logo

    You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

    Facebook photo

    You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

    Connecting to %s

    %d bloggers like this: